Welcome to the Woodside Baptist Church Youth site. The goal of this page is to give you an indepth look at the youth ministry of Woodside Baptist Church. Hopefully, through looking at this page, you will be able to catch our heartbeat... A heartbeat that has a strong desire to see God glorified and people grow in their relationship with Him!
Make sure to check out our information on the left side bar. Check it out, explore, and enjoy. If you have any questions feel free to contact Pastor Jono by e-mail at Jonoscott@woodsidebaptist.org . or check out our youth facebook page by clicking here.
WBC Youth MinistryMissionStatement
To train and motivate young people to . . .
1. Passionately Love God & His Word with all of their beings,
2. Unselfishly Serve God & others with all of their abilities,
3. Obediently Respect & Honor their God-given authorities,
4. Actively Spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ,
5. Aggressively Pursue personal purity and holiness.
The desired result being . . .
1. Young people who whole-heartedly follow the truths of the Scripture, the promptings of
the Holy Spirit, and the example of Jesus Christ.
2. The fulfillment of the ultimate goal of bringing honor and glory to God our Father and
Jesus Christ our Savior.
The purpose of the Activities in the WBC Youth Ministry is to Encourage, Exhort, Edify, and Evangelize through Excitement, Fun, Preaching/Teaching, Food, & Fellowship.
Below, you will find a summary of what we will be doing in the coming months: (This doesn’t include Wednesday night Youth Group - 7:00-8:30, which meets every week with the exceptions of camp weeks)
May 9th Friday Quizzing Starts (10am-noon) (5/9,16,23,30) (No Cost)
May 10th Youth Activity – Video Scavenger Hunt (3-8pm)
May 24th Youth Work-A-Thon
- This is a chance for the teens to earn some much needed money for summer activities. It is both a service activity and a fundraiser. Here is how it works:
- Each teen will be responsible to earn their own “sponsors.” The sponsors will either sponsor them on a per-hour or flat rate basis. The teens will work on church projects and helping with projects at the elderly homes of members. There will be no cost to the elderly nor the church. All proceeds will come from sponsors and will go toward summer activities.
May 30th WBS Senior Graduation (6:30pm)
June 6th Friday Afternoon Activities Start (noon-2:30pm) (6/6,13,27; 7/25) - Cost: Fast food meal
June 8th Sr. Slide show and Fellowship (PM) (No Cost)
June 16-21 Teen Summer Camp (Grandview-Morris Gleisser) Cost: $245
- Youth Camp is always a highlight of the summer. This summer we will be attending Grandview Camp in Arizona. Their brand new facility!
- Most medical forms and registrations will need to be turned in soon, but full payments will be due the morning of the camp. Please be certain that all necessary forms are completed and turned in ASAP (by May 18th).
- For more info see grandviewcamp.org
June 16-21 Jr. Camp (Camp Eden) Cost: $265 (all activities included)
- Registration due (to Pastor Jono) on/or before May 18th
- See Pastor Jono for Brochures and information
- Also see campeden.org
June 30-July2 Leadville Ministry Trip (Work projects, VBS, etc.) Cost: around $75
- This is a great ministry opportunity for our youth group. We will be working on building maintenance, landscape projects, and running a children’s VBS for their church.
- There will be some planning / preparation meetings before the trip (likely three meetings… and likely before church on Sunday / Wednesday nights).
July 7-11 Jr. Day Camp Cost: $45 (*approximate)
July 9th Teen Water Wars (No Cost)
July 13th Anniversary Sunday (BBQ) (No Cost)
July 17-19th Camping trip (Dotson’s Camp) Cost: $25 (*approximate)
Jul.28-Aug. 1 Neighborhood Bible Time (VBS) / Teen Rally Cost: Free
- This will be both a children’s and Teens event (separate, but at the same time). This provides a great opportunity for outreach in our community.
T2 Young Ladies Activities (Starting back up in August/Fall) Cost: Varies
Sunday Morning Bible Study: The Gospels / Matthew
- Currently we are having a short (4,5 week) study that is an overview of the Gospels and Matthew. This will help the young people to have a deeper understanding of what many of them will be studying throughout the year in quizzing. (I have also challenged them that if they are not in quizzing, to study the book of Matthew on their own throughout the year.)
Wednesday Night Bible Study: “What’s the Big Deal About…?”
- A few months back I passed out a couple of surveys to the teens. One survey was rather extensive, and had to do with activities, planning, concerns, and ideas. The other survey was rather simple. It had one question. The question was, “What’s the big deal about… ________.” I told them that nothing was off limits, and that we would biblically (and tactfully) discuss their questions. The results of the survey produced a very wide range of topics and questions. For a couple of months now, we have been discussing theological, practical, and discernment topics. I challenge you to get involved in individually asking (and discussing) the topics with your teen.
Bible Quizzing: Matthew
- The quiz year runs from May to April. Now is the perfect time to start your young person in Bible Quizzing. New this year (especially for those who have done quizzing before) I have quizzing software that has games, study helps, and tools to help your young person memorize. It is legal to duplicate as many copies as I would like (as long as they stay within our ministry), so if you would like these resources, please let me know.
- In both the Sunday Night Bible Quiz Competitions and the Friday Morning Jr. and Sr. High National Practices, all teens are invited to come and practice, quote, and compete. The Sunday night (5-5:45pm) intramural competition is geared more toward the entire youth group competition, while the Friday practices are geared more toward accountability and preparation for future competitions. Realizing that it is not all about the competition, we will spend time discussing the rich doctrine of each passage.
- We will be having a quizzing information meeting in the coming weeks to give more details on the next quizzing year. A list of proposed tournaments and dates will be handed out at that meeting. Please realize that your teen does not need to plan on participating in future tournaments in order to come to Friday quizzing. Everyone is invited to participate as we enjoy the accountability of God’s Word.
2013 was great! Here is a sampling of what we did:
- March 7/8th C.A.C.S. Tournament
- March 12-14th Junior High M.A.A.C.S Bible Quiz Trip (Kansas City, MO)
- March 19th T2 Ladies Activity (7th – 12th grade young ladies)
- March 20-22nd Elementary M.A.A.C.S Bible Quiz Trip (Kansas City, MO)
- March 24th Youth O.F.F. (Operation Fun and Fellowship – all 7-12th grade teens)
- March 28-30th Rocky Mountain Baptist Youth Conference (7th – 12th grade teens)
- April 8,9-11th AACS / SCQANIT (Qualifying SH WBS students)
- *April T2, O.F.F, Snowboarding, and Game night
- May 18th WBS Senior Graduation (not tentative)
- May 19th Youth O.F.F. (All 7-12th graders)
- May 21 or 23 T2 – Ladies Activity (All 7-12th graders)
- May 24/25th Youth Work-a-thon / Fundraiser: (All 7-12th graders, + Jr. campers?)
- June 14th Quizzing/P.U.G. (4th-12th: 10-noon; 7th-12th: noon- 2pm)
- June 17th-22nd Jr. Camp at Camp Eden (Golden, CO) – (4th-6th graders)
- June 24-29th Teen Camp at Grandview Camp (Arizona)
- July 5th Quizzing/P.U.G.
- July 8-12th Vacation Bible School
- July 14th Church Anniversary / BBQ
- July 17-20th Teen Mini-Camp (*dates and location tentative)
- July 26th Quizzing/P.U.G.
- August 1st-3rd Teen Backpacking Trip (geared toward 9-12th, but 7,8th may go)
- August 5-9th Jr. Day Camp
- August 7th Teen Water Wars
- August 9th Quizzing (but no P.U.G)
- August 11th Teen Service / Sr. Slide Show & Reception
- October: Leadville Ministry Trip(s)
- November: Flag Football; “Threepeez”; Turkey Bowl; T2
- December: Baking Blast; Christmas Party; Shoppers in Disguise
The summer of 2012 was awesome! Here is a summary of what we did...
- May 20th - O.F.F. Activity (Operation Fun and Fellowship)
- May 25th - Boondocks
- June 8th - O.F.F. Activity (Afternoon of lunch, games, and fellowship)
- June 11-15 - Vacation Bible School (Teens were a huge help!)
- June 21-23 - Teen Mini-camp #1 (Dotson's Ranch in Nebraska)
- June 29th - O.F.F. Activity (Afternoon of lunch, games, and fellowship)
- July 6th - O.F.F. Activity
- July 13th - O.F.F. Activity
- July 15th - Church Anniversary BBQ
- July 19-21 - Teen Mini-camp #2 (Treasure Mt. Bible Camp)
- July 22-27 - Service/Ministry Trip to Leadville, CO (run VBS for a church)
- August 3 - O.F.F. Activity
- August 5 - Youth Service and Sr. Slide Show (PM service)
- August 10/11 - Overnighter
- August 12 - Church BBQ
- August 13-17 - Jr. Day Camp
- August 24 - O.F.F. Activity
- August 25 - Paintball Activity
- September 1 - Youth FFB Draft
- September 8 - Amazing Race & Mini Golf Activity
- September 16 - Church BBQ
-Here is a summary of what we did the previous summer, too...
- April 21-23 - Rocky Mountain Baptist Youth Conference (@ the Westin in Westminster)
- May 6th - Minute to Win It Activity
- May 7th - Youth Car Wash Fundraiser
- May 21st - Youth Work-a-thon Fundraiser
- June 4-11 Mexico Mission Trip
- June 19 - Youth O.F.F. (Operation Fun and Fellowship)
- June 27-July 1 - VBS
- June 11-16 Teen Camp
- July 20 - Water Wars
- July 24 - Youth OFF
- August 4-6 Backpacking Trip
- August 14 - Singspiration
- September 3 - Youth FFB Draft
- September 9 - Three P's Night (Pizza, Prayer, and Planning)
- September 22-24 - Kentucky Bible Quiz Tournament Trip